South Gate Car Accident Lawyers
Talking to a car accident lawyer is a step that every auto accident victim should take. The longer you wait to seek legal help, the harder it may be to get the compensation you deserve.
Of course, talking to a Los Angeles car accident lawyer is only one part of your post-accident recovery. There are important steps to take immediately after this difficult time.
Five things you should do after an auto accident
An accident can be terrifying and you may be confused about immediate action to take. Some important steps to take include:
- Do your best to stay calm: Acting quickly or impulsively is never a good idea after an accident. Instead, try to relax, gather your thoughts, and assess your physical condition.
- Contact emergency responders: Hopefully, your phone will be within easy reach and you will be able to use it without worsening your injuries. If not, then witnesses or bystanders may be able to summon help.
- Remain put if possible: You should try to reach a safe location if you’re in danger of further injury. You should also try to move your vehicle out of the way of traffic. Otherwise, it’s best to stay close to the scene of the accident.
- Gather as much information as possible about the crash: Assuming of course that you’re able to move around without risking further harm to yourself or others. Pictures, smartphone videos, and statements from anyone who witnessed the accident can help your car accident lawyers to do their jobs later on.
- Avoid confrontations with other parties in the accident: This is no time to sort out who or what caused the wreck. Let your Los Angeles car accident lawyers decide these matters. Your health and well-being come first.
What not to do
it’s important to avoid admitting fault for the accident, even if you believe that you were the primary cause of the wreck.
At first glance, this may sound unethical. But remember, injuries and emotional stress can affect your perception of what occurred.
When talking to the police, strive to stay objective. Something as simple as saying, “I’m sorry” may be construed as an admission of liability on your part. Recount the events as you recall them and leave it at that.
Get to a hospital or clinic
Adrenaline and endorphins can mask symptoms of serious injuries for hours or even days after a car wreck. Never assume that you’re okay simply because you feel no initial discomfort. Let a qualified healthcare professional make that call.
What to do after leaving the scene
Let’s say the accident has been cleaned up, you’ve been checked out by a healthcare provider, and your vehicle is being serviced by an automotive technician. What to do then?
Your next step is to set an appointment with the car accident attorneys here at Ellis Injury Law. Our skilled legal professionals have recovered more than $350 million for their clients over the years. They can help you as well.
We are available 24/7 and consultations are always free. Get in touch with us today, then get ready for a better tomorrow. We look forward to hearing from you.