One Killed in Multivehicle Accident on the Southbound 5 Near the 405
One person died in a multivehicle accident on the southbound 5 Freeway near the 405 Freeway exit in the Granada Hills area on November 8. The victim, 28-year-old Yessenia Camacho, was a resident of Lancaster.
While the cause of the accident was not immediately known, footage showed that from four to five vehicles were involved. One witness told the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that a sedan hit all the vehicles while moving from the right lanes of the freeway to the carpool lane. It was not known whether the sedan belonged to Ms. Camacho. One vehicle was stopped across two lanes of traffic.
The accident occurred at roughly 5:15 a.m. Lanes were blocked to clear the accident, causing massive traffic pile-ups during early rush hour. The scene appeared clear by 7:30 a.m.
It was not immediately known whether any other person was injured. The causes of the accident have not been made public.
Assessing Liability in a Car Accident
While not many details are known about this tragic accident, some general observations can be made about responsibility in a car accident. All drivers are responsible for following California traffic laws and driving safely. If they do not, and their actions cause an accident, they can be held liable for damages such as injuries and death that occur as a result of the accident.
However, accidents frequently need to be investigated before issues of responsibility and liability can be fully known. We do not know what caused the accident on November 8 that took someone’s life. It could have been the actions or one or more drivers.
But driver error is not the only factor that causes accidents. Other causes of fatal accidents include:
- A manufacturing or other defect that caused the driver to lose control of the car
- An obstacle in the road that the driver was swerving to avoid
- Poor roadway conditions, such as uneven pavement
If any of these factors are at fault for a car accident, the entities responsible for car design and manufacture or for maintaining and repairing roads could be liable.
Do You Need a Car Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles?
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a southern California car accident for which another person is responsible, we can help. Our experienced car crash lawyers work with a seasoned investigative team to determine the cause(s) of vehicle accidents and liability for damages.
Please call today for a complimentary appointment to discuss your case with Ellis Law Corporation. We are vigilant about pursuing justice.
- Bravo, Kristina and Lauren Lyster. 28-Year-Old Lancaster Woman Killed in Multivehicle Crash on SB 5 Freeway Near 405. KTLA5. November 8, 2019. https://ktla.com/2019/11/08/deadly-multivehicle-crash-on-sb-5-freeway-near-405-in-granada-hills-area-causes-backup/
- Collins, Jody. Multi-car crash kills 1 on 5 Freeway in Granada Hills, lanes closed. Los Angeles Daily News. November 8, 2019. https://www.dailynews.com/2019/11/08/multi-car-crash-kills-1-on-5-freeway-in-granada-hills-lanes-closed/