What Happens if You’re a Passenger in an Uber Accident?
Uber and other rideshare apps have become very popular in Los Angeles and beyond. Though Uber is convenient and often cost-effective, there is always the risk that you will get in an accident when you’re a passenger in an Uber.
There are a few important steps you should take if you’re a passenger in an Uber accident, including seeking legal counsel from a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can give you the guidance necessary to navigate the complexities surrounding Uber accidents and liability and can help you get the compensation you deserve for losses like injuries, property damage, lost wages, or general pain and suffering.
Immediate steps to take if you’re a passenger in an Uber accident
Getting in a car accident is stressful and confusing when you’re involved in the accident with your own car, but it’s even more so when you’re a passenger in an Uber. While it may be difficult to remain calm at the moment, do your best to follow these steps:
- Call 911- The first thing you should always do after an accident is call 911. You should call for medical support and report the accident to the police.
- Seek Medical Attention – Get checked out by a doctor or medical professional even if you think you aren’t injured. Many car accident injuries take time to manifest, and a clear record of any injury is key to future lawsuits.
- Gather Important Information – Take down notes about the crash like the road conditions, time of day and location. Also gather details like all drivers’ names, phone numbers, and addresses, including the Uber driver’s, as well as all driver insurance information and vehicle details like registration, license plate, model and make. You should also take down any contact information for witnesses.
- Document the Scene – Take notes, pictures or videos of the accident scene and details like vehicle damage and injuries.
- Contact a Lawyer – It’s always tough to navigate the stress that comes after a car accident, but even more so when you were a passenger in an Uber accident. You need a lawyer representing you and your best interests to make sure you get the justice and compensation you deserve for your losses and injuries.
Who is liable for Uber accidents?
As per California law, the at-fault party is liable for damages in personal injury cases. However, when it comes to Uber accidents, determining who is at fault and liable can be tricky.
Uber classifies its drivers as independent contractors, not as employees. This distinction is very important as it can relieve Uber from liability when it comes to Uber accidents in some situations. Luckily, there are some instances in which Uber can be held responsible for an Uber accident.
Liability in Uber accident is divided into three different periods. Period 1, or personal driving, is when the driver is not logged into the app and is not taking new passengers. In this period Uber is not liable. In Period 2, or waiting for a request, the driver is logged into the app and waiting for a new ride request, making Uber liable for a small number of damages. Period 3 is when a ride is in progress, meaning the Uber driver has an active ride request or has already picked up a passenger. Uber is responsible for damages during Period 3.
Your legal right to seek compensation
Though the question of liability can be tricky when it comes to Uber accidents, you still have a legal right to seek compensation for any injuries or losses you suffered because of the accident. This is true if you were a passenger in the Uber that was in the accident or even another driver in the other vehicle involved in the accident.
If you were injured when you were a passenger in an Uber accident you need expert representation to help you get the maximum possible compensation. A Los Angeles personal injury lawyer from Ellis Injury Law can support you throughout the entire process, from helping you get necessary medical treatment to negotiating a settlement on your behalf.
You can count on an Ellis Uber accident lawyer to represent you and your interests with experience, tenacity, and compassion. Contact a Los Angeles Ellis lawyer today to schedule a 100% free consultation.