Los Angeles Taxi Accident Lawyer
Taxi accident lawyers at Ellis Law handle claims arising from livery cabs, airport shuttles, yellow cabs, limousines, and party buses. Our firm has successfully represented dozens of injured taxi accident victims in legal actions throughout Southern California. During a complimentary consultation, our attorneys can quickly determine who is at fault and the approximate value of your case.
Knowing where you can turn
Accidents involving taxis or other forms of public transportation often leave victims with disabling injuries, and when such a tragedy occurs, knowing who to ask for legal help is of tremendous importance. If your life has been turned upside down following a taxi cab collision, you need the services of a Los Angeles car accident lawyer to get fairly compensated for your damages.
Whether you were a passenger in a cab or shuttle that was struck by another vehicle, or your own car was in a collision with a taxi, we at Ellis Injury Law are here to protect your rights and pursue the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.
Pursuing damages in a taxi accident lawsuit is no different than any other personal injury claim arising from a car crash. However, by choosing a law firm with more than twenty years of experience attaining multi-million dollar settlements and judgments on behalf of their clients, you know you’re enlisting the assistance of capable professionals – a team dedicated to helping the injured on their road to physical and financial recovery.
Do not make this mistake
Injured passengers or motorists should never operate under the assumption that the person at fault and their insurance company will comply by doing the right thing. Insurance companies are more interested in their own bottom line than they are with the rights of injured victims – that is how they stay in business. If you retain an Ellis Injury Law taxi accident attorney in Los Angeles, you can be assured you will secure far more compensation than by dealing with the insurance company on your own. In fact, attempting to negotiate directly with the insurance company on your own is one of the worst mistakes you can make if you were injured in a taxi accident.
Insurance companies thrive off of presenting low-ball offers to unsuspecting taxi accident victims with the hope that these offers will be accepted prior to the victim hiring an experienced attorney. Especially if you incurred serious injuries in a taxi crash, insurance companies will be well aware that your medical bills may be piling up, you may be missing paycheck after paycheck because you are unable to work, and the resulting stress could be overwhelming to you and your family, so just about any amount of up-front money may be too enticing for you to pass up. However, if you accept this offer, you could easily be costing you and your family millions of dollars, as it is very likely to be well below what your case is actually worth. An experienced attorney will be able to determine how much your case may be worth and better advise you as to what a fair settlement offer would entail.
What to do after a taxi accident in Los Angeles
The immediate aftermath of any motor vehicle accident is fraught with anxiety, stress and confusion. A hundred questions may be racing through your mind during this nerve-racking time, but there are a few crucial steps you can take to ensure your legal rights are protected.
What to do if you are involved in a taxi cab accident:
- Get the drivers’ license numbers and proof of insurance of all drivers involved in the collision.
- Write down the limo, shuttle, or taxi cab driver’s name, the taxi registration number, and the contact information of their employer.
- Take detailed photos of the accident scene and property damages with your camera or phone. One not-so-obvious reason to do this is that many business and private property owners have installed surveillance cameras that may have unintentionally captured your crash on video. By knowing exactly where your taxi crash occurred, your attorney can contact those property owners to see if there is any surveillance footage available that may help you build your case.
- Ask for the contact information of any witnesses at the accident. Their testimony may prove invaluable for establishing who was at fault, as the at-fault driver may present a completely different version of the facts than you do.
- Call the police and be sure to request a copy of the officer’s accident report.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible; inform the doctor you’ve been in a vehicle accident as it may prompt tests for internal injuries. If you fail to do this, or even if you delay in doing this, it can have a negative impact on your case. In the aftermath of a crash, accident victims are often wired with adrenaline and their minds are racing, so they may not even be aware of any injuries suffered. But once the adrenaline wears off, those injuries surface and can prove to be serious. Additionally, some injuries suffered in taxi accidents do not actually manifest until hours or even days later. The longer you take between the accident and when you first seek medical attention, the more opportunity you give the defendant to poke holes in the truthfulness or seriousness of your injuries.
- Set up a consultation with a car accident lawyer who can review your case, explain your rights, and determine liability.
While the accident may seem like an obvious case of negligence, without competent legal representation from attorneys at Ellis Law, you may find it difficult to prove who was to blame. And since talking with an insurance company could negatively affect your case, it’s imperative to speak to a lawyer before you offer an official statement, sign papers, or accept a settlement offer.
Do I have to act right away?
Not only is it a mistake to delay seeking medical attention, but the longer you wait after your crash to hire an experienced attorney, you run the risk of losing all legal rights to your claim. Here in California, the statute of limitations for taxi accident claims is two years. That means that you have two years from the date of the crash in which to file a taxi accident lawsuit. While there are exceptions, missing this deadline can result in the dismissal of your case. An experienced taxi accident lawyer will ensure that your claim is filed in a timely manner.
Another reason that time is of the essence when it comes to hiring an experienced attorney is that evidence in a variety of forms tends to dissipate or even disappear altogether with the passage of time. For example, eyewitnesses to your crash will likely have a vivid memory of what they saw and heard that day in the hours or days following the accident. However, if no one interviews them until a year later, those memories will be much vaguer and also become much less credible if introduced into evidence in your case. Even worse, people move and/or change phone numbers all the time, so that eyewitness may be completely unreachable if you wait too long.
Similarly, the scene of your accident could change significantly in the weeks or months following the crash, whether intentionally or unintentionally. For example, if the taxi accident was caused – at least in part – by a road defect, that defect may be completely fixed by the time an expert is hired to investigate. It is also possible that lanes, traffic signals, or stop signs may be added or removed in that interim period. Again, handing your case over to an experienced attorney as soon as possible minimizes the risk of these changes reducing the value of your case.
Taxi cab liability under California law
Cab drivers in LA County are infamous for speeding, making illegal lane changes, failing to yield, and running red lights. Time equals money in the city’s congested streets and freeways and sadly, reckless or negligent behavior causes needless accidents every day. Known as common carriers by California law, taxis are legally obligated to carry black boxes that trace speed, velocity, and time–critical data which can be used to pinpoint how and when an accident occurred. Unfortunately, if a taxi driver caused an accident, the driver and/or the taxi company will have a strong incentive to withhold or even destroy the evidence contained on the black box. By hiring an experienced taxi accident attorney as soon as possible, you can increase your chances of obtaining and preserving the data contained on the black box.
Taxis, limos, shuttles, and other common carriers must be maintained in proper condition, so as not to place occupants in harm’s way. If your accident was caused by the taxi’s brakes failing, for example, and it is discovered that the taxi’s brakes had not been serviced in years, then the taxi driver and/or taxi company could be held liable for your crash. Drivers may be held liable for an accident that was caused by their own inattentiveness, negligence, a failure to yield the right of way, excessive speed during inclement weather, or intoxication from alcohol or substance abuse. Distracted driving caused by cell phone use/texting is another source of liability, as such activity has been banned in California.
Financial compensation available to victims
If you were involved in a taxi accident in the greater Los Angeles area – as a pedestrian, passenger, bicyclist, or occupant in a separate vehicle – you don’t have to suffer alone. Whether you sustained whiplash, lacerations, spinal cord trauma, or other head and neck injuries, you need to focus on your recovery, not battling with insurance companies or worrying about litigation.
By reviewing police reports, investigating eyewitness accounts, and reconstructing the moments leading up to the accident, our attorneys will build the strongest case possible and will fight to recover equitable compensation on your behalf.
If the taxi driver or common carrier was at fault, we can pursue monetary damages for:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses: This can include bills such as ambulance costs, hospital visits, surgeries and procedures, prosthetics, assistive devices, physical therapy, prescription medication, and in-home care.
- Emotional distress: Not only do taxi crashes often cause life-changing physical injuries, these injuries often lead to psychological harm, with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder being just one example.
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity: Lost wages cover the amount of income you lost due to having to miss work, so this is relatively simple to calculate. Reduced earning capacity becomes a factor if your physical or psychological injuries render you unable to re-enter the workforce in the same capacity as before. If you are now relegated to a lower-paying position due to your injuries, then you may be eligible to receive damages that compensate you for the difference. For example, if you were a business executive earning $150,000 a year prior to the accident, your physical and/or psychological injuries may prevent you from performing those same duties in the future. If you are now relegated to only performing clerical work that pays you $50,000 per year, then you may be able to recover the annual $100,000 difference.
- Permanent disability
Legal advice from Los Angeles car accident attorneys
Don’t settle for less than you deserve. If you have suffered injuries stemming from the negligence of a taxi driver in California, Ellis Law attorneys are well-equipped to handle your case with personal attention and skill, promising steadfast advocacy during your time of need. Our firm is proud to represent LA residents on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay if we settle or win your claim.
To schedule your free case evaluation with one of our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers, please call us at 888-997-3132 – our phones are open 24 hours a day.