What is Considered a Personal Injury?
When it comes to legal claims, a personal injury is any type of injury that results in measurable damages. Any injury that results in physical suffering, medical expenses, or mental anguish can qualify.
Typically, a personal injury claim results from some sort of accidental injury. That said, intentional acts that lead to an injury can also result in a successful personal injury claim.
If you have suffered an injury through no fault of your own, you might be entitled to financial compensation. If you have questions about whether or not you can hold the at-fault party accountable for your damages, speak with the Los Angeles personal injury lawyers of Ellis Injury Law right away.
Common injuries that result in legal claims for compensation
There is no setlist of injuries that could result in a viable claim for compensation. While any serious injury could lead to a claim, some physical conditions are more likely than others to result in compensation. Some common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and bruises
- Severe burns
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Sprains and strains
Never assume your injuries are not serious enough to warrant compensation. In many cases, the severity of your injuries will only become clear over time. The guidance of a personal injury lawyer could be crucial in determining the value of your personal injury claim.
Types of personal injury lawsuits
There are many different forms of personal injury accidents. Each of these circumstances could result in a variety of personal injuries. Some of the most common types of personal injury claims include:
- Car accidents. The most common form of a personal injury claim is an automobile accident. These collisions occur daily throughout the country, and they often result in severe injuries.
- Medical malpractice. The injuries that can result from medical errors are often severe. In many cases, they can be life-threatening. These injuries could occur during botched surgeries or stem from mistakes during diagnosis.
- Violent crime. Violent criminal acts have the potential to result in a personal injury claim. While most of these cases involve accidents, intentional acts can also lead to a personal injury claim as well.
- Defective products. Some injuries result from a dangerous or defective product. These products could include anything from children’s toys to kitchen appliances. Anyone injured while using a product as it was intended could have a claim for compensation.
- Slip and fall accidents. Slips, trips, and falls can result in an injury when you least expect it. When these falls occur due to an avoidable hazard, you could have the right to seek compensation from the property owner or operator.
Compensation for a personal injury claim
Your personal injury claim could be worth substantial compensation. Without an evaluation by an experienced lawyer, you might not find a fair assessment of what your claim is really worth. Some of the damages your attorney could help you recover include:
- Medical bills. Medical costs are central to most personal injury claims. These costs often start with emergency treatment and ambulance transportation. The cost of care can extend far beyond the hours or days following an injury, and include follow-up visits, surgical procedures, and medication.
- Pain and Suffering. Pain and suffering is a form of subjective compensation that could result from a personal injury claim. While there is no set value for a person’s pain, these damages typically scale with the number of medical bills you accrue.
- Lost wages. You have the right to seek compensation for the paychecks you miss due to your injuries.
- Mental anguish. Serious injuries are traumatic. For many, relieving an injury long after the physical injuries heal can be debilitating. You could be entitled to mental anguish compensation in this situation.
Pursue a personal injury claim with Ellis Injury Law
Do not hesitate to discuss your case with the seasoned personal injury attorneys of Ellis Injury Law. Call right away to schedule your free consultation.