Does Lyft Help With Car Repairs?
Lyft offers a wide range of services for its drivers who have suffered an auto accident. These include special discounts on damage repair and contingent collision/comprehensive coverage. These programs are intended to supplement, rather than replace, your standard insurance policy.
Lyft drivers are not always at fault
The media spends a lot of time reporting on auto crashes caused by Lyft drivers. It spends less time talking about the many times that the accident was caused by the other motorist.
This is unfortunate because it tends to cast Lyft drivers in a bad light. In reality, the vast majority of people who drive for the company are hard-working and responsible. This is not always true of the other party involved in the collision.
How Lyft insurance works
Here are some important facts to remember:
- Lyft insurance is intended as a supplement to your existing coverage: You must maintain your primary policy in order to stay compliant with Lyft regulations.
- Lyft’s collision coverage is contingent upon your current collision insurance: It applies only when your primary insurer denies the claim. It also has a $2500.00 deductible.
- You must be signed into the Lyft app to enjoy the company’s liability coverage: Otherwise, you’re only covered by your primary policy.
- Lyft’s comprehensive coverage works in the same way as its collision coverage: It applies only if your primary insurer denies the claim. It’s also subject to a $2500.00 deductible.
- Lyft insurance includes uninsured and underinsured motorist protection: This coverage applies from the time you accept a ride until the moment the passenger arrives at his or her destination.
To sum it up: Lyft insurance, while offering valuable protection, can never substitute for your existing policy. It’s very important to maintain your primary coverage at all times.
Discount auto service for Lyft drivers
Besides insurance, Lyft also offers its drivers special discounts on automotive service and repair. Here are some facts about these programs:
- Lyft partners with openbay.com to provide a wide array of vehicle services, including collision repair: Lyft drivers enjoy special discounts unavailable to standard Openbay users.
- These services are currently available only in select areas of the US: Check the Openbay website to see if your location is in the network.
- Service providers are signing up with Openbay all the time: You should check back with Openbay on a regular basis to see if a provider in your community is added.
Of course, the best way to deal with car trouble of any kind is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. This means following the rules of defensive driving, keeping your Lyft vehicle in top shape, and avoiding unnecessary use of smartphones and other devices while operating your automobile.
At times, Lyft insurance may not cover damages
At the end of the day, Lyft drivers are like any other hard-working segment of the population. They deserve a reasonable degree of protection from life’s misfortunes.
Providing this protection is the reason why insurance exists in the first place. But insurance alone may not be enough to get you the compensation you deserve. Here’s why:
- Insurance examiners work for the company, not for you: Their primary job is to ensure that their employer makes a profit. Sometimes this can work out in ways that leave accident victims holding the short end of the stick.
- Recovering from an auto accident takes money: Besides the costs of vehicle repairs, the victim may have to cope with medical bills, lost income, and the many unanticipated expenses that come with the recovery process.
- An auto accident can have many causes Automaker defects, inadequate public safety measures, and unrepaired road hazards can all play a role. Getting to the bottom of things sometimes takes a legal and investigative professional.
For all these reasons, it’s a good idea to get in touch with us here at Ellis Injury Law if you’ve been hurt in an auto accident. We can help you get every penny of the compensation you deserve. Contact one of our Lyft accident lawyers today to schedule your free consultation. Available 24/7.