Does Lyft Have an Emergency Button?
The Lyft app now includes a panic button that gives the user direct contact with 911. The company has also added other safety features, such as continuous background checks on drivers. Despite this welcome news, safety concerns still persist about Lyft and other rideshare services.
Progress made, but concerns remain
Services like Lyft and Uber have come a long way in recent years, largely due to ongoing concerns about the safety and welfare of their customers.
Lyft has taken steps to address these issues, including the addition of a panic button feature. This option allows a rider to contact emergency services within moments.
The company has taken added steps to improve its safety record, like running continuous background checks on its contractors. Lyft drivers must now display the official Lyft emblem on their vehicles and take safety training classes sponsored by the firm.
It’s always good to see a business taking responsibility for its past mistakes. We hope that services like Lyft continue their efforts to make their service safer and more pleasant for all their users.
10 ways to stay safe while using Lyft
No amount of new features can take the place of good old-fashioned awareness. With that in mind, here are 10 tips for staying safe while using services like Lyft:
- Check the vehicle description in the app before getting in the car: This step alone might have prevented the tragic story of SC college student Samantha Josephson, who died after getting into a stranger’s vehicle in March of 2019, thinking it belonged to her Uber driver. If it’s not the right car, it’s not the right driver.
- Look for the Lyft logo displayed in the windshield: Lyft drivers are required to display this emblem.
- Always ask “what’s my name”: A Lyft driver will always know the name of the person he or she is transporting. If the person in the car has no idea who you are, then get away as fast as you can.
- Ride with others if at all possible: There’s always safety in numbers. Plus, riding with friends makes the trip more fun.
- Share your trip status: The Lyft app has a feature that allows riders to send instant updates to friends or family during the trip.
- Remind the driver that the ride is being tracked: Legitimate Lyft contractors will never be offended by this friendly reminder.
- Use care when choosing a rendezvous spot: Always enter and exit a Lyft vehicle in a well-lit public area. Remember to watch out for slip and fall hazards, especially during inclement weather.
- Wear your seatbelt: Even the most conscientious drivers can end up in a wreck.
- Let the driver do his or her job: Don’t distract the contractor during the trip. Monitor his or her driving habits and speak up if he or she tries to text or otherwise multitask while driving.
- Always leave feedback: Lyft follows up on negative reviews of its drivers. If the trip was unsafe or unpleasant, then the company needs to know. At the same time, you should always leave positive feedback for a driver who shows courtesy and professionalism.
What to do when the worst comes true
While we commend Lyft for its commitment to rider safety, the company can never eliminate all risks to its customers. Assaults, car crashes, and sexual harassment will remain serious risks far into the foreseeable future.
That’s why you should contact a capable law firm if you find yourself the victim of any of these dangers. Here’s what a legal professional can do to set things right:
- Take your side when dealing with insurance companies and at-fault drivers: No accident victim should be bullied into taking a token settlement. A skilled lawyer will push back when others try to push you into signing away your rights.
- Fight for the compensation you need and deserve: Accident and assault victims face enough challenges, without worrying about paying for medical care and replacing lost income.
- Help and support you in other ways: For example, a personal injury law firm may be able to connect you with world-class healthcare providers and other helping professionals. Having the right people on your team can make all the difference after an accident or another traumatic event.
The attorneys here at Ellis Injury Law are waiting to hear from you. Together they have recovered more than $350 million for their clients over the years. These funds have helped thousands of accident victims to move past their injuries and live happier, more fulfilling lives.
Get in touch with our Los Angeles Lyft accident lawyers today to set up your no-cost consultation. We’re available 24/7 for your convenience.