Can You Sue Lyft For an Accident?
It’s possible to sue Lyft drivers for an accident but probably not Lyft itself. That’s because the company uses independent contractors, not regular employees.
Fortunately, all Lyft drivers carry insurance coverage of up to $1 million. If you’ve been injured in a Lyft-related accident, then you should file a claim with the appropriate insurer. You should also contact a qualified auto accident attorney to help you get the full compensation you deserve.
What the law says about independent contractors
The IRS defines independent contractors in a fundamentally different way than it defines traditional employees. Some of the major differences include:
- Hours of work: Independent contractors typically set their own work hours rather than having a pre-set schedule.
- Pay structure: Independent contractors are usually paid by the assignment, not by the hour.
- Equipment purchase and upkeep: Independent contractors typically provide the tools, supplies, and other items they will need, rather than having them provided by the company.
- Liability issues: Another way to think of independent contractors is to consider them to be small businesspeople. This means that they (or their insurance company) are responsible for making good on damages, including injuries to Lyft passengers.
Obtaining your compensation if you’re injured
All Lyft drivers carry insurance to protect their customers. The standard policy offers up to $1 million in coverage.
This means that you can file an insurance claim to recover the costs of medical care, lost wages, and any of your property which was damaged or destroyed in the wreck.
What if the other driver was at fault?
If that’s the case then you will need to file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurer. If the person who caused the wreck has no insurance, then you’re covered by Lyft’s uninsured motorist protection.
What if my damages exceed the insured amount?
You will need to sue the at-fault driver directly. How much you recover will depend on the assets owned by the liable party.
Remember that Lyft drivers are often students or other people with limited financial resources. This means that the possibility of recovering damages directly from them is slight.
Your best bet is to work with an auto accident lawyer to get the highest possible compensation from the insurance company itself.
Why talking to an attorney after a Lyft accident is a good idea
Insurance companies provide a valuable service. Without their help, our modern economic system could not exist. However, it’s important to remember that insurers are in business to make money. From their perspective, this means charging high premiums while paying out as little as possible in claims.
This gives insurance adjustors strong incentives to offer lowball compensation to accident victims. But there’s no need for you to tolerate this kind of treatment. Here’s what you can gain from hiring an auto accident law firm:
- A full summary of your legal options: You’ll know right away if you have a viable case.
- Aggressive representation on your behalf: it’s no secret that the other side can be pushy when it comes to settling claims. You need a lawyer on your side who knows how to push back.
- Regular case updates: One of the most frustrating things about being injured is the sense of helplessness it inflicts. Having a law firm in your corner keeps you in the loop as things progress.
- Your best chance of getting full compensation: Auto accident attorneys are skilled negotiators. They know all the tricks the other side is likely to use, like trying to downplay the level of pain and suffering you’re undergoing. Your lawyer will work tirelessly to get every penny you deserve.
Picking the right firm
Now that you know the benefits of working with an attorney, let’s discuss how to choose the right law firm. Here are three things to look for:
- A solid history of success: For example, the attorneys here at Ellis Injury Law have recovered more than $350 million for their clients. That kind of track record speaks for itself.
- Freedom from out of pocket fees: Here at Ellis Injury Law, we offer free consultations for prospective clients. We also work on contingency, so we collect nothing unless your case prevails.
- Personal and emotional support: We do more than provide expert legal representation. We do everything possible to help our clients enjoy full recovery from their accident-related injuries.
Get in touch with Ellis Injury Law today to arrange your no-cost consultation. Someone from our office is available 24/7 for your convenience.