Cell Phone Related Car Accidents
If you or someone you love has been harmed in a cell phone related crash, you need the professional assistance of a car accident attorney in LA who knows what it takes to secure the compensation you deserve. Victims of car accidents caused by cell phone use frequently face an uphill battle when it comes to obtaining fair reparations for their injuries. At Ellis Law, our LA car accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to helping these individuals put the pieces of their lives back together after suffering harm caused by others’ negligence behind the wheel.
Car accidents caused by cell phones have garnered a great deal of attention in recent months and years from media outlets, social commentators and lawmakers alike. While it is certainly true that smartphones and similar devices offer a tremendous degree of freedom and flexibility for those wishing to stay in contact with friends and family, that convenience can often come at a price.
Recent research indicates that roughly 660,000 people use cell phones while driving at any given daylight moment in the United States. On a daily basis, roughly 15 people die and over 1,200 others are injured in accidents caused by distracted drivers. California in particular has seen an alarming increase in car accidents resulting from cell phone use, including those causing serious injury and even death.
Table of Contents
LA car accident lawyers offer legal advice
For the past two decades, Ellis Law has worked to establish an unrivaled network of investigators, experts and lawyers able to assemble critical evidence and help us present the most effective case possible on behalf of our clients. And because we have seen first-hand how devastating texting and driving accidents can be, it is our mission to pursue justice for those injured in these preventable events.
Startling facts about driving and cell phone use
Widespread awareness of the hazards of cell phone use while driving has increased in recent years, thanks to heightened publicity efforts and grim reports on traffic fatalities. However, drivers continue to text, chat and search the Internet while behind the wheel, despite known dangers.
The true risk of using smartphones and other electronic devices while operating a vehicle is frightening, particularly considering that:
- According to the US Department of Transportation, texting while driving increases the risk of a collision by 23 times beyond that resulting from driving without such distractions
- Using cell phones, whether hands-free or not, impedes a driver’s reaction time just as much as a blood alcohol concentration of .08, often the standard for determining an illegal level of intoxication
- The act of sending or reading a text message takes a driver’s eyes off the road for roughly 4.6 seconds, which is akin to driving the length of an entire football field, blindfolded at 55 miles per hour.
The visual, manual and cognitive distractions that inevitably result from cell phone use while driving make it an unacceptably hazardous activity. Those who engage in it and cause harm to others must be held legally accountable.
California laws on cell phone use while driving
Due in large part to the above-cited risks of using a cell phone while driving, California legislature has enacted multiple laws prohibiting the use of cell phones on the road, including the following:
- Handheld Cell Phone Ban: this statute prohibits drivers from using handheld phones while operating a vehicle, with exceptions for calls to or by emergency responders, law enforcement officials or calls made by those driving on private property.
- Hands-Free Cell Phone Statute: this law allows drivers age 18 and over to use hands-free cell phones while operating a vehicle, while prohibiting drivers under 18 from doing the same. An exception for emergency calls does apply, however.
- Texting and Driving Ban: California has also instituted a ban on composing, sending or reading text messages or emails while driving.
Car accidents caused by cell phone use
Because surreptitious, illegal use of cell phones while driving is not always an activity that is visible to law enforcement officers or other motorists, establishing that cell phone use was the cause of a serious accident can sometimes prove challenging. Eyewitness accounts are often valuable, but in their absence additional legwork will be necessary.
That is when a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer can help victims marshal key evidence by fighting to secure traffic camera data and other material proof.
Compensation for victims of accidents involving cell phone use
Given the extremely serious and sometimes fatal consequences of car accidents caused by cell phone use, it is important for victims to understand their rights to compensation. At Ellis Law, we are acutely aware of the kinds of personal, financial and emotional destruction such accidents can have on those involved. Drivers whose cell phone use causes injury to others are legally liable for those damages.
Victims may be entitled to compensation for:
- Wrongful death
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Disruption of marital or familiar relationships
- Past and present medical bills
- Future medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages and loss of future earning ability
Ellis Law car accident attorneys in Los Angeles
The aftermath of texting and driving accidents or other cell phone related collisions is a confusing time, riddled with anxiety and uncertainty. However, victims throughout California are afforded rights to compensation that can be zealously pursued with the help of the right car accident attorneys. If you have suffered a serious injury or a loved one was involved in a fatal accident due to another’s cell phone use on the road, we will assess the merits of your case, advise you of your options and fight for the monetary damages that you are entitled to receive by filing a car accident lawsuit on your behalf.
For a no-charge initial consultation and the opportunity to take advantage of our two decades of personal injury advocacy, give us a call at 310-641-3335. The team at Ellis Law is committed to providing the compassionate, skilled legal representation you deserve.