Los Angeles Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury in Los Angeles, contact Ellis Law. Our traumatic brain injury attorneys will meet with you, listen to your story, and advise you of the best legal course of action available in your case. We understand how devastating it can be to suffer a brain injury or to have a loved one go through a terrible experience like this. We will do everything in our power to ensure that you get the justice and compensation you and your family deserve.
At Ellis Law, our traumatic brain injury attorneys are:
- Compassionate and caring advocates for victims of brain injuries. Our goal is to genuinely help you to the best of our ability. We never rush you in and out of meetings, and we’re always happy to answer any questions you have. You can trust us to handle your case aggressively but compassionately.
- Hard-working and experienced in brain injury litigation. Our lawyers have real-life experience with brain injury cases. This includes experience in negotiating settlements as well as taking cases to trial when necessary. While most cases settle before they get to trial, we will never push a settlement offer on a client if that’s not what they want or it’s not in their best interest. We will keep fighting for you until you’re satisfied.
- Honest and open when advising brain injury victims of potential legal strategies. While we always want to be successful for our clients, we also find that it’s important to be transparent and provide realistic expectations. If we think your case is going to be complicated or more difficult than others for some reason, we will tell you this and explain why. This doesn’t mean we won’t take your case or we won’t fight for you. We believe that all of our clients should be active participants in their cases, so we try to share as much with you as possible.
Ellis Law wants you to receive all available compensation for your brain injury so you can move forward with your best possible life. Brain injuries can have lifelong consequences, and no one should have to deal with that kind of situation on their own. If you or a loved one suffered from this type of injury and it was someone else’s fault, you deserve to be compensated appropriately. There are often significant medical expenses associated with brain injuries. While we understand that money doesn’t solve everything, it’s only fair that you don’t have to pay these expenses out of your own pocket. Speak with one of our professionals now to schedule your complimentary consultation.
At Ellis Law, we want to answer your questions, address your concerns, and ensure you understand the legal process along with all of your options in pursuing recovery.
Table of Contents
How Can a Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney Help Me?
Traumatic brain injury claims are one of the most complex and labor-intensive legal claims. These claims require attorneys who are well-versed in both legal and medical knowledge and have access to specialists and other experts when preparing your case. No matter how experienced your attorney is, if they’re unable to explain complex legal and medical terms to a judge and jury in a way that they actually understand it, it won’t matter. Your case is only as strong as your advocacy. At Ellis Law, we have experienced lawyers who understand this sensitive topic and know how to get that information across in a simple yet effective manner.
At Ellis Law, we have the resources needed to pursue even the most difficult traumatic brain injury cases. Our traumatic brain injury attorneys work tirelessly building and litigating your brain injury claim from start to finish through:
- Investigating your accident. If your injuries were caused by a car accident or pedestrian accident, we will try to determine who was at fault. We do this by finding and speaking with witnesses, getting your side of the story, obtaining video footage when available, and even recreating the scene of the accident.
- Collecting and analyzing your medical records. Medical records are often one of the most important aspects of a personal injury claim. If you can’t show that you actually suffered injuries and that those injuries were a result of the defendant’s conduct, you won’t be able to recover any compensation. We will ensure that all of your documents are obtained and reviewed thoroughly.
- Hiring medical experts. Medical experts can help with several aspects of a personal injury claim. In some cases, they can recreate the scene of the accident to better help us determine fault and see what really happened to cause the accident. Additionally, medical experts can help us review your medical records and determine how much compensation you might be entitled to for medical expenses.
- Determining the reason for your brain injury.
- Pursuing all liable parties for your brain injury. There could be several different people responsible for your injuries. If more than one was responsible, we can file claims against all of them.
- Assessing all your current and future accident-related losses and expenses. Anytime a personal injury claim is filed, it’s important to try to determine how much compensation a victim should be entitled to. By looking at all of the expenses you’ve incurred and are likely to incur in the future, we can come to a number that makes sense. This often includes lost income as well as loss of future income. It can even include compensation for damages that aren’t physical, such as pain and suffering.
- Aggressively negotiating a settlement with any insurance company. Insurance companies typically have one goal: to pay out as little money as possible. We have the experience and dedication to aggressively negotiate with insurance companies to make sure you always get the compensation you deserve.
- Presenting your case at trial if needed. If we’re unable to come to an agreement with the defendant, all of our attorneys are prepared to litigate cases. Most personal injury cases settle before trial, but there are still many cases that go to trial. All of our lawyers have experience litigating cases in court, and we will do whatever it takes to get a successful outcome for you and your family.
There is no risk in meeting with one of Ellis Law’s traumatic brain injury attorneys, so call us in Los Angeles today.
What is Traumatic Brain Injury?
Brain injuries occur from any physical trauma to the head or brain and can be internal or external. Internal brain injuries are apparent when merely viewing an individual. Concussions are one of the most common brain injuries.
Traumatic brain injury is a severe type of brain injury. A victim who suffers a traumatic brain injury may or may not lose consciousness. Signs of traumatic brain injury include the following:
- An inability to concentrate;
- Blurred vision;
- A persistent headache;
- Cognitive losses; and
Causes of traumatic brain injury include but are not limited to:
- Slips and falls
- Car accidents;
- Sports accidents;
- Workplace accidents;
- Assaults; and
- Military incidents.
Doctors diagnose traumatic brain injuries using X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, and brain injury-specific testing methods.
Caring for a Traumatic Brain Injury
A traumatic brain injury requires specialized medical care and a team of medical professionals. The victim of a traumatic brain injury may need the following types of medical and surgical care for recovery:
- Emergency medical treatment;
- X-rays, MRIs, or CT scans;
- Intensive care;
- Lengthy convalescence;
- Assistive devices; and
- Ongoing care and psychological counseling.
Such treatment can reach millions of dollars in a victim’s lifetime.
Statute of Limitations
If you or a loved one suffered a brain injury due to someone else’s conduct, it’s important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. You must file your case before a very specific deadline, known as the statute of limitations. In California, for most personal injury cases, you must file your claim within two years of the date of your injury.
While each case is unique and fact-specific, there are several elements that typically must be proven in all brain injury cases.
- Duty of care. The first thing that must be proven is that the defendant owed the victim a duty of care. If the brain injury occurred as a result of a car accident, for example, it must be shown that the person who caused the accident had a duty of care to the victim. By simply getting behind the wheel, drivers in California have a duty to exercise reasonable care while driving.
- Breach. The next element that must be proven is that the defendant breached the duty of care. In the car accident example, if the defendant was texting, speeding, driving under the influence, or engaging in any other distracting behavior, this would probably be sufficient to show that the defendant breached their duty of care.
- Injuries. Next, the plaintiff must prove that they suffered injuries. If a defendant was negligent but the other party involved in the accident didn’t suffer any long-term injuries, it will be difficult to succeed in a brain injury case. Simply having a few cuts and bruises won’t be enough to satisfy this element.
- Causation. Finally, the plaintiff must prove that any injuries they suffered were actually caused by the defendant’s negligent conduct. In a car accident case, if the plaintiff suffered serious injuries as a direct result of the accident, they may be able to show causation.
If you are successful in your brain injury case, you may be eligible for the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses. If you suffered serious injuries, you could be entitled to any costs you incurred as a result of your injuries and the accident. This includes hospital bills, medication costs, and expenses for future treatment and rehabilitation.
- Lost Wages. Many people involved in car accidents are unable to work for a significant amount of time. This leaves people in a very vulnerable and frustrating place, as it can be very difficult to survive without an income. Fortunately, if you are successful in your personal injury claim, you could receive compensation for any lost wages as well as future lost wages for time you might be out of work going forward.
- Pain and suffering. In some cases, you might be able to recover compensation for pain and suffering as well. Being in a car accident and suffering serious injuries can be traumatic and can cause a lot of emotional issues alongside the physical ones. Determining how much you’re entitled to for pain and suffering can be complicated because it’s very subjective. An experienced lawyer will know how much compensation you should seek.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
Thankfully, California allows accident victim’s to seek and recover expenses for medical care, lost income, household services, property damage, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and mental anguish. At Ellis Law, our traumatic brain injury attorneys will seek full and just compensation for your injuries, including all current and anticipated medical costs and payment for your pain and suffering.
At Ellis Law, our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers have seen and can anticipate your family’s needs following a traumatic brain injury. If someone else’s negligence caused you or a loved one to suffer a traumatic brain injury, we want to help hold the responsible party accountable. We’re here for you every step of the way. We will always update you about your case and ensure that you know what’s going on so you can be involved in the process. Contact Ellis Law today and schedule your claim review and no-obligation consultation.