Internal bleeding, or hemorrhaging, is a symptom of an injury, illness, or disease that merits immediate medical attention. Any damage to your organs, blood vessels, or bones can cause internal bleeding. While certain medications can inhibit blood clotting, internal bleeds are more commonly associated with blunt or penetrating trauma, which is often seen in car accidents, falls, physical assaults, or catastrophic workplace injuries.
If another person’s reckless actions or negligence resulted in your trauma and internal bleeding, a Los Angeles accident lawyer with Ellis Law can help you seek appropriate compensation.
As one of the most respected personal injury law firms in California, Ellis Law leverages the expertise and knowledge to maximize your legal recovery.
Internal bleeding causes
Potential causes of internal bleeding can include:
- Traumatic injury from a motor vehicle accident, assault or recreational sport
- Impalement on a sharp object
- Perforated organ or vessel during surgery
- Blood thinner medications
- Bone fractures
- Certain anti-inflammatory medications
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Leaking aneurysm
- Placental abruption or ectopic pregnancy
When hemorrhages are life-threatening
The most life-threatening sources of internal hemorrhages due to trauma include:
- Intracranial hemorrhage around the brain
- Tear in the aorta or vena cava and their branches
- Hemorrhages around the lungs and thorax
- Bleeding in and around the heart
- Trauma to the liver or spleen
Signs of internal bleeds
Symptoms of internal bleeding will depend on what body part was affected and the type of trauma. Victims may experience:
- Abdominal pain – usually linked to the trauma of the spleen or liver
- Swelling and pain in the leg may indicate a bone fracture
- Headache, vision loss, or lightheadedness can indicate bleeding in the brain
- Blood in the urine or stool may suggest kidney injury
- Dark purple patches of skin
- Chest pain
- Dizziness or fainting
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid heart rate
- Bloody vomit
If left untreated, moderate to severe internal bleeding can lead to shock, organ failure, coma, and even death. Without prompt diagnosis and treatment, victims may suffer long-term complications ranging from lung damage to permanent cognitive deficits.
After an accident that wasn’t your fault, Ellis Law can protect your rights. Insurance companies will look for ways to diminish the value of your claim without a legal advocate in your corner.
Accident lawyers for victims of internal bleeding
If you suffered internal bleeding in an accident and believe negligence was involved, reach out to our Los Angeles catastrophic injury attorneys about your rights to compensation. While money damages may be a poor substitute for the health you had before your accident, it can go a long way toward paying bills, keeping food on the table, and improving quality of life during the recovery process.
For more than 25 years, Ellis Injury Law has advocated for victims injured by the careless actions of others. We collaborate with investigators and highly-qualified experts who can help us demonstrate the cause and scope of your internal bleeding injuries. Our case record speaks for itself and has earned us inclusion in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, along with numerous professional accolades.
There is no charge for an in-depth consultation, and we take all cases on a contingent-fee basis, so there is no fee unless we win. Call Ellis Law, we’re here to help!