Hacienda Heights Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
As a pedestrian, the last thing you want to see when walking is a set of headlights heading your way. Unfortunately, the occurrence of pedestrian accidents in Los Angeles is all too common. Roughly one-third of all deaths that occur on the streets of LA are due to pedestrian accidents, which is three times higher than the national average and far outranking any other large city.
If you’ve been involved in an accident, the personal injury lawyers from Ellis Injury Law can help.
How to stay safe when walking or cycling in LA
While most LA residents opt for cars to get around the city, many are switching to a walkable lifestyle– using bicycles, public transit, and their own two feet to get around. If you are planning to walk around LA, how can you do so safely? Hacienda Heights pedestrian accident lawyers have seen it all and recommend some of the following tips:
- Wear reflective clothing at night. Most pedestrian fatalities happen at night. This can be due to a mixture of sleep deprivation, limited vision, and consumption of alcohol. The best way to avoid becoming a victim is to make yourself more visible to other drivers. This could mean adding reflective tape to your bike, using a brightly-colored leash for your dog, and swapping out the black sweater for something a little more noticeable.
- Watch out in parking lots. Despite lower speeds and the expectations of pedestrians, a surprising number of pedestrian accidents happen in parking lots. When walking toward the store or back to your car, look for rear lights, cars that are backing up, or people who may be distracted looking for an open spot.
- Teach your kids smart habits. Looking both ways before crossing is extremely important, especially in the streets of LA. However, there are other habits your kids should be learning, such as properly using crosswalks, making sure they are visible to drivers, and not walking or riding their bike past dusk.
- Encourage friends to not drink and drive. This may not directly prevent you from becoming a statistic but it could keep someone else from falling victim to a deadly crash. It’ll also help promote an overall safer driving culture.
What to do if struck by a car while walking or riding your bike
Very rarely do we give thought to what we would do if a car hit us or someone we love. However, knowing how to react in a moment of chaos, pain, and trauma, can make a big difference in how you recover from your incident. If you find yourself the victim of a pedestrian accident, contact your pedestrian accident lawyer and follow these simple steps:
- Call emergency officials
- Seek medical treatment
- Call a personal injury attorney
- Take photos and collect names and contact info from witnesses
- Save and collect all documents, bills, diagnosis, etc.
- Refer insurance companies to your Hacienda Heights pedestrian accident attorney
Get compensation for your injury or loss
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in an accident, don’t wait to take action. The Los Angeles personal injury lawyers from Ellis Law can guide you through the aftermath of your traumatic accident to help you receive maximum compensation for your losses. Our consultation is always free and you can contact us 24/7.