How Do I Find the Right Car Accident Attorney?
Unfortunately, some accident victims try to go it alone when dealing with insurance companies and negligent parties. More often than not, this leaves them shortchanged and scared for the future. There are many advantages to letting a law firm handle this salient matter.
Why you shouldn’t accept an initial offer
As a car accident victim, you have a lot of on your mind. Auto wrecks can cause emotional trauma, lead to lost time from work, and destroy cherished belongings. That’s not to mention the physical pain and discomfort that comes from suffering an injury.
At a time like this, it may seem tempting to accept a settlement offer from the negligent party’s insurance company. But it’s a good idea to think twice first. Here’s why:
- Insurance companies are in business to make money: They earn their profits by charging premiums and paying as little as possible in claims. They will likely offer you less than you need to pay your medical bills and cover your lost wages.
- Accepting a settlement means signing away your rights: Including your right to legal representation. Legally speaking, there’s no coming back from the decision to settle.
- Recovering from an accident is expensive: Taking a quick settlement may put money in your pocket right away, only to leave you facing serious financial problems down the road. There are always unexpected costs that come with an injury.
What about accepting an offer from the at-fault driver?
There are many reasons why an at-fault driver may try to pacify you with an offer of cash or other forms of compensation. These include:
- Fear of added points on his or her license: This can lead to all sorts of negative consequences for the negligent party, from higher insurance rates to license revocation.
- Concerns about legal consequences: Many negligent drivers have already been in trouble with the law for driving under the influence or other serious crimes. The last thing they want is for a police officer to make a record of the accident.
- To save time and/or expense: Sometimes at-fault drivers try to make the problem go away by throwing a token amount of money at accident victims. Accepting this type of offer is rarely in the injured party’s interests. In fact, it can close the door to obtaining real compensation later on.
Three ways a car accident attorney can help make things better
When you work with a Los Angeles accident lawyer, you gain the benefits that come with trusting a skilled legal professional to handle your case. These include:
- Freedom from harassment and high-pressure tactics: Having an attorney on your side shows that you’re serious about getting respectful treatment. This can force insurers, bill collectors, and other third parties to give you the consideration you deserve.
- Regular updates as your case develops: There’s nothing worse than being left in the dark when you’re dealing with an injury-causing accident. A good law firm will keep you updated as your case or claim progresses, helping you to focus on feeling better.
- Your best chance at obtaining a fair resolution: Car accident attorneys are seasoned professionals who know when it’s time to stop talking and take the other side to court. You can count on their skills and experience to get you the highest possible compensation for your suffering.
Once you’ve decided to hire an attorney, the next step is choosing the right Los Angeles personal injury lawyer. We think you’ll find that Ellis Injury Law is a perfect choice. We offer free consultations, we work on contingency, and we’ve recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients over the years.
Remember, you want to choose the right Los Angeles car accident lawyer for you. Find out more about what we offer by getting in touch with us today. We’re available anytime day or night.