What do I do if I was in a Hit and Run on an E-Scooter?
The first thing you must do is seek immediate medical attention. You should also make every reasonable effort to document the events of the accident, including photos and videos if possible.
Soon afterward, you should get in touch with a California scooter accident attorney to discuss your legal options. Quick action is essential for getting the compensation you deserve.
Sharing the road when you’re using a scooter
E-scooters have only been around for a few years. In that short time, they’ve become extremely popular. It’s easy to see why. After all, what other forms of transportation offer such a fun combination of ease, economy, and convenience?
Unfortunately, the compact design and light-weight of a scooter make riders vulnerable to the carelessness and negligence of others. The following facts paint a disturbing picture:
- Almost 7000 scooter operators suffered serious injuries during the year 2018 alone, a threefold increase from 2008.
- Thousands of scooter users have reported issues with the unit’s safety mechanisms. Complaints about brake failure are especially common, despite efforts by companies such as Lime™ to resolve these problems.
- Scooter users are vulnerable to accidents caused by careless or negligent motorists. Serious injuries and even fatalities occur on an almost daily basis.
By pointing out these facts, we’re not trying to discourage anyone from using an e-scooter. We’re simply saying that using an electric scooter requires riders to exercise basic safety precautions, such as wearing a helmet, keeping an eye out at all times, and obeying the rules of the road.
Immediate action to take if you’ve been involved in an accident
Of course, you can take all the precautions in the world and still find yourself the victim of a hit and run driver. If that happens, then here are five important steps to follow:
- Seek medical attention right away: Do so even if you think you escaped from the incident unharmed. It can take days for the full extent of an injury to become obvious. A thorough check-over by a trained healthcare practitioner is essential for your health and well-being.
- Do everything possible to discover the identity of the driver: It’s possible that bystanders were able to write down the vehicle’s license plate number or other critical details. It’s also possible that traffic surveillance cameras recorded the incident. If so, then you will likely need the help of a Los Angeles scooter accident lawyer to obtain these records.
- Document the details of the accident as best you can: Something as simple as taking a few quick snapshots of the surrounding environment can make all the difference in the world to your case. Of course, you should never do anything that might aggravate your injuries or expose you to further harm.
- Move the scooter out of the way of traffic and to a safe location (if practical to do so): Not only will this help to preserve important evidence, it may even prevent a second accident from occurring.
- Get in touch with a qualified personal injury law firm: Do so even if you think you have an open and shut case against the driver. It takes a skilled legal mind to see the causes of an accident and bring all of the liable parties to justice. Trying to deal with insurance companies, scooter manufacturers, and at-fault motorists on your own can rob you of your chance to receive maximum compensation.
Choosing the right law firm
The body of law surrounding scooter accidents is always evolving. You need an attorney who is well-versed in the technical details of this type of case.
That’s where Ellis Injury Law comes into the picture. Our skilled lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for our clients over the years. This fact, along with our many years of legal education and experience, makes Ellis the law firm of choice for scooter-related injury and accident victims across Southern California.
At Ellis Injury Law, our attorneys work on contingency, so you’ll never have to worry about paying out-of-pocket fees. In fact, we make nothing at all unless your case prevails.
Get in touch with our office today to schedule your free consultation. You can reach us 24/7. We look forward to hearing from you. Till then, take care and stay safe.