5 Most Common Car Accident Injuries
Reckless drivers are to blame for car accidents every day in Los Angeles. Depending on the circumstances, damages incurred by people involved in motor vehicle collisions can range from minor to severe.
If you’ve recently been involved in a car accident in California, you may have originally thought you were able to escape the scene a little shaken up, but uninjured. Unfortunately, all injuries are not readily apparent immediately following the accident, but may take some time to surface.
Top five injuries sustained in car accidents
The five most common injuries suffered by people involved in a car accident include:
- Whiplash: This term, used to describe a wide-variety of neck injuries, is often present in victims of a rear-end car accident. The harsh impact to the vehicle from behind can cause passengers inside to jerk their heads in a violent, whip-like motion, resulting in various neck injuries.
- Emotional Damage: Being involved in a car accident can be terrifying. Many people experience difficulty overcoming the incident, especially after a serious collision, which can lead to emotional distress and other symptoms related to post traumatic stress disorder.
- Head Trauma: The damage resulting from a closed head injury can vary from a minor concussion to a full-blown brain injury. Sometimes injuries in this form show obvious physical signs of distress, but they often do not, making them difficult for anyone but a trained medical professional to identify.
- Facial Wounds: The impact of collision can cause various objects to come in contact with the face, with damage ranging from mild to severe. On the minor side, victims often experience cuts and bruises, but injuries can also be much more serious, including deep gashes and fractures. More severe cases can even involve Temporomandibular disorders of the jaw and major dental damage.
- Damage to the Back: While back injuries may not be immediately apparent after a car accident, damage from impact can be extreme and long-lasting. A range of back injuries can be experienced from car accidents, such as damage to the thoracic or lumbar spine, sprain, disc injury, and more.
It’s a good idea to get a medical examination immediately following a car accident, even if you think you’ve escaped unharmed. If you have been injured, it’s important to address the issue right away, as it may get worse with time. A minor ache or pain may seem like no big deal, but could actually be an indication of a much bigger issue.
Know your rights
If you have suffered car accident injuries in LA as a result of the negligent or reckless driving of another, you may be entitled to compensation for all related medical expenses, lost wages, emotional trauma, rehabilitation, and other non-economic losses.
The Los Angeles car accident attorneys at Ellis Injury Law firm provide legal advice in these complex cases. Call 310-641-3335 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers to discuss your legal options.